Eating lunch together is a really important part of the school day. It is a key time when staff encourage independence, develop social skills and ensure everyone has a good meal.
Lunch menus are very popular with a range of well-balanced and healthy options and are changed regularly. The menus are available in the school office and online.
School dinners are cooked on site by Harrison Catering. They offer good value for money and provide a healthy balanced diet.
If you prefer your child may have a packed lunch. We ask that you ensure packed lunches are healthy and well balanced as we do encourage healthy eating at school. Try these healthy packed lunch ideas
Things to avoid
The school is a nut free school therefore we ask you to check carefully and avoid nut products in lunch boxes. Sweets, chocolates and fizzy drinks are not appropriate at school. Please ensure you bottles or breakable containers.do not give your child glass
The cost of school meals is currently £11.50 per week. Meals must be paid for in advance, weekly, half termly or for the whole term. The meal preference can be changed once each half term only.
We use Schoolcomms at www.schoolgateway.com to provide a payment service for school meals. This is a secure online payment service. You can access it at any time, track how much you have paid, what is outstanding and make payments directly to us using your debit or credit card.
- You will need to register for a School Gateway account, using the email address and mobile number we have on record for you. When you have entered your email address and mobile number, select the Send PIN button, and a PIN number will be sent to your mobile phone. You can then use this PIN number to log into the School Gateway and view/ make payments.
- You will be notified by text or email of any requests for payment. Simply log in using your email address and your PIN number, select the payment request(s) you wish to fulfil and follow the Wizard through to pay.
- You can see a record of the payments that you have made and receipts are sent to your registered email address for all transactions you make.
- You will be able to see your current meal balance and receive reminders to top up when you are getting low.
- If you have more than one child at Belleville Wix Academy (or any other school that also uses the schoolcomms payment system) you can merge the accounts, so one log-in gives you access to all your children’s payment requests and history.
- Your card details are not visible or stored in the Schoolcomms or school system. All card information is processed by Barclaycard.
If you have any questions about this, please contact the school office.
Free Meals Entitlement
Your child may be entitled to a free school lunch if you are on certain benefits and have a low income eg Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance. The school office will be happy to advise you about this and to help you complete the appropriate forms.
You will need to provide evidence of your entitlement for example a letter from the DSS (not more than 4 weeks old) stating the type of benefit.
If your child is eligible for free school lunch, please register their entitlement even if they have packed lunches. This can affect school funding and will make you automatically eligible for grants for school journeys.
Universal Free School Meals
Due to changes in government legislation, all children in Reception – Year 2 will be entitled to a school dinner every day free of charge to parents/carers. All schools in England will need to provide a hot meal option and provide meals that comply with the School Food Standards. These standards are intended to ensure that children get the nutrition they need across the whole school day. If you want your child to have a packed lunch, which you will provide, you may do so.